Here, then, is what’s in a number.
- 1,022,234,000: African human population, 2010.
- 750,000,000: Number of active Facebook users.
- 227,958,258: African human population, 1950.
- 5,156,913: NYC Subway average weekday ridership, 2010.
- 450,000: African lion population, 1940s.
- 103,680: Average number of adult human heartbeats per day.
- 36,268: Seattle Sounders FC average MLS home game attendance, 2011.
- 24,000: Number of miles Kim and I will fly roundtrip to Africa and back, each.
- 23,000: Number of lions remaining on the African continent, 2002.
For every Sounders home game I attend there are 13,000 more people in the stadium alongside me than there are lions on the entire continent of Africa. There are not even enough lions to match the number of miles I’ll be flying between Seattle and Africa.
Sobering to describe what’s in that number.